Connect with us

Chicago news

Bryce Hopkins commits to Louisville

Published

on


With so many high-major programs in heavy pursuit, Fenwick junior Bryce Hopkins could have certainly let his recruitment play out as he sorted through all the intriguing options.

Kansas had recently offered. Texas, Missouri and nearly all of the Big Ten were heavily involved. Hopkins could have milked it for all it’s worth, created headlines and let the drama play out.

But there was one school that stood out to Hopkins early on and, in his mind, there was no reason to wait it out.

Hopkins, the powerful yet highly-skilled 6-6 forward, committed to Louisville and coach Chris Mack Sunday night.

Hopkins had already made three trips to the Louisville campus, including an official visit this past weekend, and felt no need to wait.

“The coaches are great, very genuine and easy to talk to,” says Hopkins. “When I’ve been down there the players have been great to me, and I love the basketball atmosphere and tradition there. Playing in the ACC was big for me. It’s a high-level basketball conference with great exposure.”

After putting up some whopping numbers as a sophomore –– Hopkins averaged 23 points and had six games of 30-plus points –– the rise was quick. Last December he started to receive high-major offers, and they kept coming as he played out his sophomore season.

But Hopkins admits the recruiting process was starting to wear him down.

“It was becoming a little overwhelming for me,” says Hopkins of a recruitment that was really starting to heat up. “I found the place I loved and a place I felt very comfortable. I knew I found a home there and couldn’t go wrong.”

Hopkins is now among the top 75 players in the country and is expected to continue to rise as he heads into his junior campaign.

In addition to a strong basketball I.Q. and natural feel and instincts for the game, Hopkins is a matchup nightmare with his combination of size, strength and skill. He’s able to overpower defenders with his body and can step away with his much-improved jumper and shooting touch.

“I’m pretty relieved to have it over with,” Hopkins said of his recruitment. “Now I can concentrate on my season and work to get better.”



Source

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ваш e-mail не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *

Chicago news

Naperville Central High School student charged with hate crime after allegedly posting racist Craigslist ad

Published

on


WHEATON, Ill. (WLS) — A Naperville high school student is facing hate crime charges for allegedly placing a racist ad on Craigslist, authorities said.

The DuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office and Naperville police said Wednesday that a Naperville Central High School student has been charged with hate crime and disorderly conduct after allegedly offering an African American student at his high school up for sale on Craigslist last week.

The student allegedly posted the ad with a photograph of the victim and a caption that said «Slave for sale (Naperville)» and included a racial slur, the state’s attorney’s office said.

RELATED: Naperville Central High School investigating after racist ‘Slave for Sale’ Craigslist post shared on social media

The student was arrested following an investigation by Naperville police.

«The allegations against the juvenile in this case are beyond disturbing,» DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said. «Hate crimes have no place in our society and will not be tolerated in DuPage County. Anyone, regardless of age, accused of such disgraceful actions will be charged accordingly.»

School administrators said they took swift and appropriate steps to address the situation as soon as they were made aware of the post. Naperville School District 203 released a written statement, saying in part, «We have a responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of all students, especially those from marginalized and vulnerable student groups. Racial discrimination and hateful acts are never acceptable.»

Because of student privacy laws, the district could not say specifically how the student would be disciplined.

The student appeared in juvenile court Wednesday. His next court date is scheduled for December 18.

Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.





Source

Continue Reading

Chicago news

Police Issue Arrest Warrant for Buffalo Grove Murder Suspect

Published

on


Police in suburban Buffalo Grove issued an arrest warrant Wednesday for a suspect in the fatal shooting of a couple in a parking garage.

The warrant for two counts of first-degree murder names Anatoliy Ermak, 64, who is wanted in connection with the deadly shooting of a couple that happened in a parking garage at 150 Lake Boulevard Sunday, police said. 

“This warrant is the result of more than 48-hours of non-stop investigation,” Buffalo Grove Chief Steven Casstevens said in a statement. “The investigators have worked diligently to secure this warrant, and I am proud of the hard work and collaboration between our local and federal agencies involved.”

«Locating the suspect and providing safety and security to our residents remain the Police Department’s priorities and we will continue to work exhaustively at both,” he continued.

Buffalo Grove Police Update on Double Homicide

[CHI] Buffalo Grove Police Update on Double Homicide

The victims’ bodies were found roughly three hours after their deaths, when a resident discovered the man and woman near a vehicle with blood on the ground and alerted authorities, police said. 

Ermak, who should be considered armed and dangerous, might be driving a white, 2019 Nissan Versa hatchback with Florida license plate KCFK75, police said. Ermak might be staying at hotels in the Buffalo Grove area, according to an alert from Buffalo Grove police. 

Investigators previously said they believed the shooting was targeted, and there was not an active threat to the community. 

Anyone with information on what might have happened or Ermak’s location is being asked to call (847) 459-2560 or submit an anonymous tip at (847) 662-2222 and at lakecountycrimestoppers.com.





Source

Continue Reading

Chicago news

Jussie Smollett Files Malicious Prosecution Claim Against Chicago Police, Says There’s No Evidence Attack Was A Hoax – CBS Chicago

Published

on


CHICAGO (CBS) — Actor Jussie Smollett is accusing Chicago police of malicious prosecution, claiming he was the victim of “mass public ridicule and harm” after he was charged with orchestrating a fake hate crime against himself.

Smollett’s claims come in a countersuit against the city, which is suing the actor to recover more than $130,000 that police say they spent on their investigation of Smollett’s claim that he was a victim of a racist and homophobic attack in January.

The actor has said he was beaten in January by two masked men who poured bleach on him, and hung a noose around his neck, while shouting homophobic and racist slurs, and told him “this is MAGA country.”

Chicago police have said, however, that Smollett paid two brothers – Abel and Ola Osundairo – to stage the attack, because he was upset with his salary on the Fox show “Empire.”

Smollett was indicted on 16 counts of disorderly conduct in March, but just weeks later Cook County prosecutors dismissed the case without a plea, after Smollett agreed to surrender his $10,000 bail and perform 16 hours of community service.

In his counterclaim against the city, Smollett’s attorneys argue the Osundairo brothers lied to police about the attack being a hoax, and says their testimony against him was inherently unreliable, because they were only trying to avoid being charged themselves.

Smollett’s attorneys noted it wasn’t until the Osundairo brothers had been in custody for 47 hours that they claimed Smollett was behind the attack, after they earlier told police they had nothing to do with it.

“Other than the Osundairo Brothers’ self-serving and fabricated statements, which contradicted their earlier statements and resulted in their release from custody with no criminal charges being filed against them, not a single piece of credible evidence independently corroborated their claim that the attack was a hoax,” Smollett’s attorneys wrote.

Smollett’s counterclaim was filed against the city, Chicago Police detectives Michael Theis and Edward Wodnicki, Supt. Eddie Johnson, and the Osundairo brothers.

“The CPD’s prosecution of Mr. Smollett based on the Osundairo Brothers’ false statements about the attack has caused Mr. Smollett to be the subject of mass public ridicule and harm to him personally,” Smollett’s attorneys wrote.

The counterclaim also argues the city cannot seek reimbursement from Smollett, because it already accepted the $10,000 bail he surrendered when prosecutors dropped 16 felony charges against him.

“Having agreed to accept $10,000 from Mr. Smollett as payment in full in connection with the dismissal of the charges against him, the City cannot seek additional recovery from Mr. Smollett,” his attorneys wrote.

In June, Chicago Police released hours upon hours of surveillance video and documents in the Smollett investigation.

It included everything from body camera video showing a rope wrapped around Smollett’s neck the night of the reported attack, to the brothers who say they were paid to carry out the attack caught on security camera buying supplies for alleged hoax.

The brothers’ attorneys have acknowledged they took part in a hoax, but said they have apologized for it and only did so because Smollett paid them.

A special prosecutor is now investigating Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s handling of the case, and also to determine whether Smollett should be further prosecuted for allegedly staging a hoax hate crime.



Source

Continue Reading

Trending

We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies.
Accept