Connect with us

Sports

Coco Gauff Defeats Reigning Champion Naomi Osaka at Australian Open

Published

on


This time, Osaka looked at the end like she would be the one in tears. And this time, Gauff was tightly focused and unbowed. More, she looked utterly confident, seeming to own the arena from the moment she took to the court. Once the match got going, she continuously kept her opponent off balance by keeping the ball low, deep and flat.

Gauff won most of the short rallies, and most of the long ones, too. Seventy-five percent of her first serves went in, and she took 76 percent of those points. Those are all very solid numbers. They showed she had control of her nerves. “I was pretty composed,” she said, “and really calm.”

She just keeps getting better, keeps embracing big moments with a wisdom beyond her years. It seems like just yesterday when Cocomania started on those hot afternoons at Wimbledon, then continued through to that tough loss to Osaka in New York.

She is still as charming as ever, lighting up the on-court interview after her match by admitting that, yes, she had seen the legend Rod Laver on the grounds but had been too bashful to approach him. “If he sees this, tell him we can set up a meet up for some time. I need a selfie for Instagram,” she said. Laver soon responded with a congratulatory tweet post, noting that he would love to meet the young star.

Her personality isn’t changing, but her game is. She is a different player now. Taller, stronger, more capable. She owns a tour singles title, having won the crown in Linz, Austria, in October. A major is a different animal, of course. But as she stares down at the back half of this tournament — needing four more victories for a championship — this much is sure: Coco Gauff is going to keep having fun. And not for a moment will she be intimidated.

“I’m just thinking about playing ball,” she said.

“I don’t really think about the defending champion and all of this. I just always have that belief I can win, regardless of the opponent.”





Source

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

What’s It Like to Be an Emergency Goalie in an N.H.L. Game?

Published

on


One of the eccentricities of the N.H.L. is what happens when a team runs out of goalies.

Most teams list two on their rosters. In case of the unlikely event that both get hurt, home teams are required to designate an “emergency goalie” for each game: someone who can fill in for the rest of the game, for either team. Generally these are rec league guys or former college players who help out at practice, and get to pick up a few bucks and meet some N.H.L. stars.

Once in a rare while, they actually get in the game.

On Saturday night in Toronto, starting goalie James Reimer of the Carolina Hurricanes was injured in a collision. That brought in Petr Mrazek. Then Mrazek got hurt in a collision of his own. With that, 42-year-old David Ayres stepped in between the pipes for the Hurricanes, up, 3-1, midway through the second period.

The affable Ayres sat for an interview at the N.H.L. offices in New York on Monday. His next stop will be Raleigh, N.C., where the Hurricanes will honor him on Tuesday night. And why not? The Hurricanes beat the Maple Leafs, 6-3, and Ayres made eight saves.

This interview was condensed and edited for clarity.

I’ve heard you described as a Zamboni driver, or maybe a former Zamboni driver. What is your current Zamboni status?

Five years ago I was a full-time Zamboni driver for the [A.H.L.] Toronto Marlies. Then I went to work at an athletics center, where I’m an operations manager. So that’s not my only job, to be on the Zamboni. But I do it when I can.

How often are you the emergency goalie in Toronto?

I’ve done it for three years. Last season I did every home game. This season I opted to do half of them, which ended up turning into more than half.

When you don’t get into the game — as was always the case until Saturday — what’s that experience like?

My wife and I stand up in the standing-room section and just watch the game from the same spot. It can be boring. I like doing the practice stuff — I’m on the ice for practice sometimes — more than standing in the stands for the game. The other day I said to my wife, “I don’t know if I’m going to do this next year.” Then, boom, I got in a game.

What’s your background as a player?

I played in Junior B, which is like second or third level down. I kind of gave up on it. Then I had a kidney transplant, and I thought that would be the end of my hockey career.

So this was your first game situation in many years?

Probably four or five. I played some Senior A hockey. But practicing with Toronto was way more fun.

Where were you when you heard about the first injury, to Reimer?

I was standing in my section, and I saw him go down. Then I got the call: Come on down, bring your gear, get dressed. When Mrazek was hurt, I was in the media room.

Had you ever gotten to that first stage before, when there’s one injury and you get dressed?

That was the fourth time.

Was it awkward to compete against the Leafs when you work with them and you’re a fan?

It’s a little different. At first you kind of try to figure where guys are going to shoot, you’re worried about where each shot’s going to go instead of just playing your game. If I didn’t know the guys on the other team I wouldn’t worry about where they’re potentially going to shoot, I’d just worry about playing my game. It runs through your mind, but you’ve got to block it out and try to make a save.

What was it like when you got that second call and you went on the ice to play?

The guys were waiting for me and cheering me on. Everyone starts to scream and it starts to hit you. You’ve got to try to focus after that. That’s the tough part.

What’s the biggest crowd you had played in front of before?

Not a very big one. Probably a few hundred.

So what was different from what you expected?

I always thought if I went out there, I’d be perfectly calm, no problem. I play with these guys all the time, I’m used to the shots, I’m used to the speed, no problem, this is easy.



Source

Continue Reading

Sports

Kobe Bryant Is a Finalist for the Basketball Hall of Fame

Published

on


Kobe Bryant, the former Los Angeles Lakers star whose death last month continues to cast a pall over the N.B.A., was among eight finalists announced on Friday for induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Bryant, who was 41, retired from the N.B.A. in 2016 after spending his entire 20-year playing career with the Lakers. He won five championships, was an 18-time All-Star and won the N.B.A.’s Most Valuable Player Award in 2008. A dynamic and hypercompetitive player, he also helped the league fill the void that was left by Michael Jordan’s retirement.

Former N.B.A. stars Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett will join Bryant on the ballot, while Tamika Catchings, a 10-time W.N.B.A. All-Star, was nominated by the women’s screening committee.

Rudy Tomjanovich, Kim Mulkey, Eddie Sutton and Barbara Stevens are finalists as coaches.

To gain induction, finalists need a minimum of 18 of 24 votes from the honors committee, which is made up of Hall of Famers, basketball executives and administrators, and members of the news media. The class of 2020 will be announced in April.

Mike Breen, the longtime play-by-play voice for the Knicks on the MSG Network and the lead voice for N.B.A. broadcasts on ESPN and ABC, won the Curt Gowdy Media Award for electronic media. Michael Wilbon, an ESPN analyst and former sportswriter and columnist for The Washington Post, won the award for print.

Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash near Los Angeles on Jan. 26. He was widely expected to be on the ballot even before his death, which prompted an outpouring of grief across the country. A public memorial service is planned for Feb. 24 at Staples Center, where the Lakers play their home games.

Bryant’s death continues to affect players from around the league, including LeBron James, whose long relationship with Bryant had developed into more of a friendship over the last two seasons. James has pledged to continue Bryant’s “legacy” this season on the Lakers.



Source

Continue Reading

Sports

FIFA, Seeking $1 Billion for Club World Cup, Hires U.S. Firm to Find It

Published

on


FIFA largely blamed costs for scrapping the event, but Domínguez reacted with fury, demanding, in a letter to FIFA, a detailed breakdown on how much FIFA spent to host similar meetings recently in India, Rwanda and China.

After finally bowing to the creation of the tournament, UEFA has so far stymied FIFA’s efforts to secure the participation of the continent’s top teams for the inaugural event next year. It has demanded the field should include winners of its second-tier Europa League competition, while FIFA wants only the continent’s best teams.

The clubs are taking advantage of the tensions. As well as talking to FIFA about the quadrennial World Cup, Europe’s biggest teams have also met with the American billionaire Stephen M. Ross, who is seeking to get them to commit more formally to an annual preseason tournament. Ross’s company, Relevent Sports Group, has held talks with both UEFA and FIFA about securing their backing for an annual event in which participating clubs could secure about $10 million per tournament and an equity stake, provided they commit to several editions of the competition.

FIFA hopes the new revenue stream from an expanded Club World Cup will allow it to invest more in developing the game around the world. But the financial demands of the top teams could make that difficult: Those teams want a model similar to the Champions League, where more than 90 percent of the income is paid out in prize money.

Because of the early opposition to its project, FIFA has found itself in a hurry to get the financing it requires. Some groups that showed initial interest in the event, like Suning Holdings Group, which is based in China, owns the Italian team Inter Milan and is one of the biggest Chinese investors in soccer, declined to make an offer after complaining that there was a lack of detail in FIFA’s tender request.

By hiring Raine to manage the process, FIFA is enlisting an organization well versed in securing deals for sports entities, and one with a presence in China. Led by the banker Joe Ravitch, the firm helped the English soccer champion Manchester City sell a stake worth $500 million to the American investment group Silver Lake Partners in November. And City’s Premier League rival Chelsea has directed any parties interested in acquiring the club from its Russian owner, Roman Abramovich, toward Ravitch.



Source

Continue Reading

Trending

//onemboaran.com/afu.php?zoneid=2954224
We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies.
Accept