Connect with us

Chicago news

Supreme Court weighs DACA, thousands of immigrants’ futures hang in the balance

Published

on


The future of about 660,000 immigrants is in the hands of the Supreme Court.

The nine justices will hear oral arguments Tuesday on whether the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, better known as DACA, will stay in place.

Some immigration attorneys are resigned to seeing it disappear.

«It was a presidential action when it got implemented. It could easily be killed by a presidential action. That’s the power of the president,» said immigration attorney Joshua Longoria.

President Obama created the policy with an executive branch memorandum in 2012.

It gives some protection to immigrants who came to the U.S. when they were children.

Research has shown it helped the so-called Dreamers get jobs and better pay.

It’s also improved the mental health status of DACA recipients like Leticia Arevalo, who grew up in Firebaugh and went to Fresno State while still undocumented.

«When I was undocumented, I was extremely depressed after graduating from college because I couldn’t use my education,» she said.

She’s now in law school and on a path to citizenship, and just in time.

President Trump announced plans to phase out DACA shortly after taking over the White House.

The case has been stuck in court ever since.

The people challenging it say a federal agency can change its position, but the law requires they give an analysis and an explanation.

They say the Trump administration’s only argument is that DACA was always illegal, which lower courts have agreed it was not.

But immigration attorneys compare the current fight to the one over a travel ban, so it’s probably just delaying the outcome President Trump wants.

«A lot of those Dreamers were in the shadows. They were very scared. They were very illegal. So it’s going to be a big shock,» said Longoria.

The Supreme Court’s decision could come any time between January and June, but oral arguments Tuesday could give a hint as to what the justices will decide.

Copyright © 2019 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.





Source

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ваш e-mail не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *

Chicago news

Police Issue Arrest Warrant for Buffalo Grove Murder Suspect

Published

on


Police in suburban Buffalo Grove issued an arrest warrant Wednesday for a suspect in the fatal shooting of a couple in a parking garage.

The warrant for two counts of first-degree murder names Anatoliy Ermak, 64, who is wanted in connection with the deadly shooting of a couple that happened in a parking garage at 150 Lake Boulevard Sunday, police said. 

“This warrant is the result of more than 48-hours of non-stop investigation,” Buffalo Grove Chief Steven Casstevens said in a statement. “The investigators have worked diligently to secure this warrant, and I am proud of the hard work and collaboration between our local and federal agencies involved.”

«Locating the suspect and providing safety and security to our residents remain the Police Department’s priorities and we will continue to work exhaustively at both,” he continued.

Buffalo Grove Police Update on Double Homicide

[CHI] Buffalo Grove Police Update on Double Homicide

The victims’ bodies were found roughly three hours after their deaths, when a resident discovered the man and woman near a vehicle with blood on the ground and alerted authorities, police said. 

Ermak, who should be considered armed and dangerous, might be driving a white, 2019 Nissan Versa hatchback with Florida license plate KCFK75, police said. Ermak might be staying at hotels in the Buffalo Grove area, according to an alert from Buffalo Grove police. 

Investigators previously said they believed the shooting was targeted, and there was not an active threat to the community. 

Anyone with information on what might have happened or Ermak’s location is being asked to call (847) 459-2560 or submit an anonymous tip at (847) 662-2222 and at lakecountycrimestoppers.com.





Source

Continue Reading

Chicago news

Jussie Smollett Files Malicious Prosecution Claim Against Chicago Police, Says There’s No Evidence Attack Was A Hoax – CBS Chicago

Published

on


CHICAGO (CBS) — Actor Jussie Smollett is accusing Chicago police of malicious prosecution, claiming he was the victim of “mass public ridicule and harm” after he was charged with orchestrating a fake hate crime against himself.

Smollett’s claims come in a countersuit against the city, which is suing the actor to recover more than $130,000 that police say they spent on their investigation of Smollett’s claim that he was a victim of a racist and homophobic attack in January.

The actor has said he was beaten in January by two masked men who poured bleach on him, and hung a noose around his neck, while shouting homophobic and racist slurs, and told him “this is MAGA country.”

Chicago police have said, however, that Smollett paid two brothers – Abel and Ola Osundairo – to stage the attack, because he was upset with his salary on the Fox show “Empire.”

Smollett was indicted on 16 counts of disorderly conduct in March, but just weeks later Cook County prosecutors dismissed the case without a plea, after Smollett agreed to surrender his $10,000 bail and perform 16 hours of community service.

In his counterclaim against the city, Smollett’s attorneys argue the Osundairo brothers lied to police about the attack being a hoax, and says their testimony against him was inherently unreliable, because they were only trying to avoid being charged themselves.

Smollett’s attorneys noted it wasn’t until the Osundairo brothers had been in custody for 47 hours that they claimed Smollett was behind the attack, after they earlier told police they had nothing to do with it.

“Other than the Osundairo Brothers’ self-serving and fabricated statements, which contradicted their earlier statements and resulted in their release from custody with no criminal charges being filed against them, not a single piece of credible evidence independently corroborated their claim that the attack was a hoax,” Smollett’s attorneys wrote.

Smollett’s counterclaim was filed against the city, Chicago Police detectives Michael Theis and Edward Wodnicki, Supt. Eddie Johnson, and the Osundairo brothers.

“The CPD’s prosecution of Mr. Smollett based on the Osundairo Brothers’ false statements about the attack has caused Mr. Smollett to be the subject of mass public ridicule and harm to him personally,” Smollett’s attorneys wrote.

The counterclaim also argues the city cannot seek reimbursement from Smollett, because it already accepted the $10,000 bail he surrendered when prosecutors dropped 16 felony charges against him.

“Having agreed to accept $10,000 from Mr. Smollett as payment in full in connection with the dismissal of the charges against him, the City cannot seek additional recovery from Mr. Smollett,” his attorneys wrote.

In June, Chicago Police released hours upon hours of surveillance video and documents in the Smollett investigation.

It included everything from body camera video showing a rope wrapped around Smollett’s neck the night of the reported attack, to the brothers who say they were paid to carry out the attack caught on security camera buying supplies for alleged hoax.

The brothers’ attorneys have acknowledged they took part in a hoax, but said they have apologized for it and only did so because Smollett paid them.

A special prosecutor is now investigating Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s handling of the case, and also to determine whether Smollett should be further prosecuted for allegedly staging a hoax hate crime.



Source

Continue Reading

Chicago news

Per filing, Fire getting new logo and tweaking name

Published

on


The Fire are getting a slightly new name. The logo is apparently undergoing a much bigger redesign.

According to an application by Major League Soccer with the United States Patent and Trademark Office dated Nov. 15, the Fire’s official name will be Chicago Fire FC, instead of Chicago Fire Soccer Club. The FC is an apparent nod to the global game.

The team getting a new logo isn’t a surprise, as president/general manager Nelson Rodriguez and owner Joe Mansueto have acknowledged work has been done on the franchise’s identity.

“There’s a team of folks here, talented people looking at that issue,” Mansueto told the Sun-Times in September. “They are towards the end of their process, so I’d like to kind of wait, let that play out. It’s complicated because there’s a lot of pieces to it. It’s not just the name, or even in the name, is it FC, SC, the Fire name? There’s the crest, the logo, so there’s a lot of pieces of it. So if you did want to change something when you move locations, that’s something that I think that is valid to take a look at.”

As for the logo, it is an oval design with CHICAGO on top and FIRE FC on the bottom. In the middle of the oval are six triangles.

The filing only shows the logo in black and white, but the design matches one that popped up last Thursday night on social media. The logo that widely circulated is predominantly blue, with CHICAGO and FIRE FC written in white. The top three triangles are yellow, and the bottom three red.

When that design hit social media, it was met with overwhelmingly negative reviews. Tweets on the #cf97 hashtag have been against the potential new badge, with positive feedback much harder to find.

If the design is the Fire’s new look, it would be their first new logo since the team was established in 1997. For the entirety of their existence, the Fire have worn a badge based on the Florian Cross, symbolic of fire fighters.

The Fire declined to comment.



Source

Continue Reading

Trending

We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies.
Accept